Sunday, September 8, 2013

Share This

While reading Share This I had my moments of thinking of more than just what I was reading so of course I had to go back and read, and once I did it all came together. The part that stuck out to me the most about it was the Part 1. This part stuck out to me for two reasons: one, because it elaborated how social networking sites were more than just Facebook and Twitter, and two, because it touched based on the sites demographics.

Remember when we were little kids and our parents referred to every Pokémon as either Pikachu or as a "Pokéman"? It's very similar to how our parents think any social media site is automatically Facebook, but thanks to this chapter it spoke on Twitters success along with Instagram, LinkedIn and user generated content sites like YouTube. All of these sites are around us, all of these sites are used, and all of them are unique and stand apart from one another, which is why it continues to be a success and it continues to gain a bigger following everyday. The scariest thing about that is that these sites following isn't just the younger people anymore either.

According to this chapter, the average age of a person on Twitter is 35, while Facebook is between 35 and 54 years-old and LinkedIn is 40. Do you know what that means? My parents and their friends have taken over social networking sites. I use to find when my father called me into his room to tell me he didn't like what I was posting on Facebook to be very annoying. I use to think that he just made a made because he wanted to keep an extra eye on me, how ignorant of me. He simply made a page for the same five reasons me and my age group made one: researching, finding information and inspiration, participating, and connecting with friends for entertainment.

You get so caught up in your own little world that you forget that your parents have a life too, they also get bored, that also need friends and fun. If they don't have that then they bother you and you won't have that. Part 1 of Share This helped me open my eyes to that. So if you felt how I felt or know someone please SHARE THIS book with them... See what I did there?

No comments:

Post a Comment