Saturday, September 21, 2013

Greek Life is THE Life

Before I moved from Philly to Ada everyone at home asked me the same question, "Are you going to pledge anywhere?" and my answer was always simply, "Oh, God no." Even when I arrived on campus I was approached by greeks helping me move in, gave me greek life brochures, rush schedules, the whole nine yards but, I still had no intentions of pledging anywhere. Not until the faithful day that I met up with Andrew Colyer in Mac for brunch, who insisted that I go to the Sigep house with him. After that I started to consider greek life however, it wasn't until I met the man, who is now my big, that confirmed that there was no doubt that I would be a Sigep.

What people in greek life don't understand is that being in a fraternity, or even a sorority for that matter, is more than a just the stereotypes that define them such as: all of the partying, polos and boat shoes, and drinking. It's a group of strangers who grow closer together eventually becoming a family, hence the terms brother/sisterhood. The bonds that I've made the past three years being greek life is undescribable. Outside of the 40 brothers in my chapter to turn to I also have a sorority of 80 women who I can always have a good time with as well.

In comparison to the friends I made here versus friends at home, my greek life friends will literally bend over backwards for me, while my Philly friends are just a tad bit selfish. For example, recently my uncle, who lived about an hour and a half away in Fremont, passed away. With my east coast family not being able to make I still wanted to attend the funeral. So when I asked around to borrow a car there was almost a battle royal over who would let me borrow their car, which was surprising because I shouldn't be left alone with someone's car keys let alone their car. My Philly friends, for example, I have a hard enough time putting just the thought of them coming out here to visit me, hell even at home too since I am always the one visiting them. It's almost a burden for them to come see me, or at least thats how it appears.

Joining a fraternity I expected the stereotypes but, instead I got what I least expected, a group of people I can call my friends, brothers, and family for the rest of my life. Greek life is the life, and it changed mine for the better, and I that I am forever grateful for.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! This has completely been my experience as well. I don't quite know what the difference is between my friends here and my friends at home, but you're right. They'll do anything for me and sometimes I'm not so sure if that would be the case if I asked someone back home.
    I didn't expect to go Greek, but I wouldn't be who I am today if I hadn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darnell, I was delighted to hear how well your experience has been involving Greek Life. I just rushed this year and now in Alpha Xi Delta. I can't wait for everything to get rolling.

    ReplyDelete